Recipe: Kashmiri Rogan Josh Curry
Posted in: recipe, updated on 27 Jun 2018
- 2-3 tbsp ghee (or preferred oil)
- 1 medium onion, grated (or finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 tsp ginger paste (or 15g of peeled ginger, finely chopped)
- 10 tsp garlic paste (or 10 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped)
- 8 tsp (20g) Mrs Balbir Singh Kashmiri Rogan Josh Blend
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Greek or natural yoghurt
- 3/4 cup Passata (or tinned chopped tomatoes)
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 680g leg of lamb or mutton, cubed
- 11/2 cups hot water
- 1/2 tsp Mrs Balbir Singh Original Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (chopped) for garnish
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 50 minutes
1 Heat the ghee and fry the onions for 5 minutes or until slightly brown. Add the garlic, ginger and Mrs Balbir Singh Kashmiri Rogan Josh Blend into the pan and cook on a medium-high heat for a further 2 minutes. Then add the coconut, almonds, and 1/2 cup of water and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
2 Add the yoghurt, stirring it until it is fully blended into the mixture. Add the tomatoes and salt, and cook on a medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add the lamb, and cook further on a medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
3 Add the 11/2 cups of of hot water, stir to mix in fully and then cover the pan. Simmer on a low heat for an hour and a half (or approximately half this time if using vegetables instead of lamb). Five minutes before the end, add half a teaspoon of Mrs Balbir Singh Original Garam Masala. Stir well, and simmer on a medium heat with the lid on for the final 5 minutes.
4 To serve, sprinkle with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves. Perfect with steamed basmati rice or your favourite Indian bread.